[TenTec] INRAD 2.8's and RX Mod?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] INRAD 2.8's and RX Mod?
From: wb8yqj@yahoo.com (Don Rasmussen)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:03:38 -0700 (PDT)
Mike,

The RX mod is not pointless without the inrad filters,
you can experience the difference the mod will make by
tuning in a SSB signal, making a mental note of the
bass, and then rotating the NOTCH control from fully
CCW to 10 oclock or so. You should notice more low end
audio. The mod also increases the high end
frequencies, but it is not as noticable. That low end
audio does not help with the communications
effectiveness but it sure adds to the natural sound of
the voice.

I bought both of the 2.8 Inrad filters and that made
the received audio even more natural sounding,
although for the best fidelity the 6MHZ filter
position can be bypassed using a .001 Cap (without
soldering). I did this in the 250 position so that the
default setup is the cascaded inrad 2.8's. You can
also leave the stock filters in the radio, and switch
them in from the front panel if you like.

The flexible filter switching in the OMNI 6+ makes it
very clear what difference the filters are making.

In side by side tests, with the Inrad filters, my OMNI
6+ now sounds almost as good as a K2!

(Joking, joking - if you believe that urban legend I
have some swampland for you to buy.)

The $15 that inrad charges to provide the parts you
need and a photograph showing where they go is well
worth the price in my opinion.

73,
Don Rasmussen WB8YQJ/6
Carlsbad, Ca.