[TenTec] ARRL product review test change

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ARRL product review test change
From: al_lorona@agilent.com (LORONA,AL (A-USA,ex3))
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:27:54 -0600

Hi, Everybody,

An interesting discussion. Practically, I can understand those who say they
don't care about a spurious tone in the audio output that is so far down
that it cannot interfere with normal communications. Practically, that's
absolutely true. Virtually all radios have by-products, birdies, audio
intermod, phase noise, and other junk if you look closely enough. On the
other hand, Larry (VA3LK) is perfectly right to say that, for his extreme
weak-signal work, the distortion can't be tolerated. In the worst case I
suppose it would fool his decoding software into thinking that there were a
very weak signal there, when there really weren't! And that would be bad.

What an interesting test, to put a spectrum analyzer on the audio output and
show the result in the product reviews. I'd like to see that.

R,

Al  W6LX