[TenTec] Is My Wide Filter *Too* Wide?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Is My Wide Filter *Too* Wide?
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:42:02 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, k8do wrote:

> The TT engineers are pretty sharp fellas... When they designed the Omni VI
> with the narrow 2.3 SSB filters, don't you suspect that they looked at a

That's 2.4 filters.  And the INRAD fellow is sharp, too.  Check George's
background.  They know each other :-) .

> design with the wider 2.8  filters and decided that for a contest radio they
> wanted the trade off of very tight and deep filter skirts that the 2.3
> filters that they designed gave them?  The fact that folks think that they

The 2.8's have much better skirts a very short distance away in the
passband.  Check the specs.

> can just stick a barndoor wide filter in, willy nilly, for the HiFi sound

2.8 is not "barndoor" by any standards I know.  The best contest rigs from
Yaesu and Kenwood often start with 2.7 filters that are not nearly as
sharp as these 2.8's (better sound for a human voice AND better QRM
suppression a very short distance from center frequency).  "Willy Nilly"?
George discussed proper specs with Ten Tec and got their help.  He used
the rigs and ran them through numerous tests to check specs.  I don't
understand your criticism.

> and have a "better radio", would be hysterical if they weren't also trashing
> the bands with their spurious emissions...  If just sticking in a wider

Excuse me, but have you looked at my radio on a spectrum scope?  Where do
the "spurious emissions" come from with an extra 400 Hz of voice
bandwidth?  In face, my sidebands will drop off faster than yours just
over 3.0 KHz away if you still use the NS 2.4's in your OMNI VI.

> filter was such a great idea, don't you suppose that TT would offer that
> option?

Ten Tec bought a set of these filters from INRAD and helped George with
specs.  I don't believe they find them problematic at all (personal
conversations with the guys at Ten Tec).  Of course, I cannot speak for
them, they like the Network Sciences supplier of their current filters
(and as far as I'm concerned, their 221 CW filter is amazing!)

Clark
WA3JPG