[TenTec] Tom Mikelson Post

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tom Mikelson Post
From: wo8l@att.net (wo8l@att.net)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:32:52 +0000
Hi Tom,

I saw your post and could'tesist a reply.

I have a Kenwood TS570 and an OMNI V.  The Kenwood
TS570S has extreme "popcorn" band noise compared to the
OMNI V.  Its particular synthesized design makes
listening to the Kenwood TS570S very tiring and often
necessitates the use of headphones to dig the signal out
of the noise floor.

The OMNI heards signals which are buried in voise with
the 570S.  The audio is so much more pleasant because
the noise floor is so low. The OMNI V is far, far
quieter on a vertical antenna than the Kenwood is on a
beam at 30 feet on the same frequency.

The N.R.1 and N.R.2 features on the Kenwood are
terrible.  As mentioned in the QST Magazine review for
the 570S, they create a noise similar to listening to
signals under water.  My own evaluation is that the N.R.
features sound like Donald Duck on a bad day.

The Kenwood broadcast noise reduction feature (B.C.
printed on the button) is the best I've ever heard on 40
meters.  The AF DSP filters using the Filter button are
very tight and good.  These are the Kenwoods strongest
features.

On the other hand, the knob which changes memories is
the same one which changes the filters.  If you don't
have the filter button pushed in but think you do, it's
a problem.  That's because one tends to rotate the
common button with the filters not on, which changes
bands and loses the QSO you're working.

In other words, somebody is talking to you on 20 meters
and all of a sudden, you've skated to 15 or 10 via the
memory/filter button.

I just finished switching from the OMNI V to the Kenwood
570S for a week or so of DX and then back again.  It
illustrated all over again just how high the background
noise is on the Kenwood.

In addition, the DSP slope controls on the upper right
of the control panel seem pretty much a waste of time to
me.

Finally, there are so many controls packed onto that
tiny control panel, I hit lots of wrong buttons
constantly.

I've used the Pegasus, too, and find it every bit as
good a radio as the Kenwood except on a different
platform (i.e., PC control).  While the Pegasus has some
limitation and shortcomings such as the CW tone, it
certainly is an easier radio to use than the Kenwood and
has fewer flaws, in my opinion.

As far as the Kenwood TS570S goes, I wouldn't refer it
to anybody as a primary radio.

I've never used a Jupiter so I can't comment there.

The Kenwood TS570S and the Pegasus cost half or less
than an OMNI VI+ and they aren't as much radio.  On the
other hand, they sure do a great job for far less money.

In the end, you can't work what you can't hear.  On the
Kenwood, there are times when you sure can't hear things
you can hear on the OMNI.

So, I guess you pay your money and take your choice.

73s,

Rick
WO8L

> Hello All,
>       First I am a Pegasus owner and enjoy my rig very
much. I use Carl's N4PY
> software and it is the BEST! Also my Pegasus
> has been flawless with NO problems since I got it over
a year ago.
>       Anyway, I have been thinking about the Jupiter.
I love the software
> control
> for Pegasus/Jupiter, but after working at a computer
all day and managing
> people, a real radio is an inviting thought and change.
>       So I need your help for comparison. When I go to
HRO and listen on CW
> with
> a Kenwood TS-570 with the NR-1 and NR-2 the effect of
noise reduction is
> amazing (to me). Of course I operate only CW or at
least 99.99% of the time.
> This is a critical feature for me. When I use my
Pegasus noise "button" it
> quiets things down, but the cw note gets "raspy"
clearly not as good as the
> 570.
>       I do not have access to a Jupiter for comparison
and don't want to do
> the
> 30 day trial, unless there is a better than average
possibility that the
> Jupiter DSP is really favorable by comparison on CW to
the 570. Two good
> rigs just a challenging decision. Thanks for your
comments and help.

http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec