[TenTec] Argossy II or Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argossy II or Scout
From: N4NT@chartertn.net (Mike Hyder -N4NT-)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:15:31 -0400
Hi Sherrill,

My reply is based somewhat on reports I have received from my friend John
Gwin, W4SK ( gwinatty@home.com ) who would be happy to discuss his
comparison with you.  He prefers the Argosy II hands down.

I've owned both of the Argosy rigs and actually had more fun with the analog
one.  The reason for this is that with the digital readout of the Argosy II,
I tended to stay within a very narrow frequency range but with the analog
model, I would tune around more and find interesting people to talk with.
But for my normal operation, I need to be able to sit down on a frequency
and call someone who is using DSP or other narrow filters and be heard.  The
analog model was not quite accurate enough, even though it had 1 kHz readout
on the dial skirt.

The normal receive current drain on the analog model is lower than the
digital model but there is a front panel switch on the Argosy II which
disables the digital circuitry, thus lowering its current drain.  There is
an extra set of unused contacts on that switch which some have used to turn
off the meter lamp at the same time, further reducing the current drain.
With the Argosy II, one can use the digital readout to set the dial skirt
then turn the digital circuitry off -- no crystal calibrator is needed.

There was a difference between the AGC sampling point of the analog and
digital Argosy rigs I owned.  The digital model sampled before the audio CW
filter which meant that signals out of the passband of the filter would
still pump up the AGC.  The analog model sampled after the audio CW filter
which was a far better method.  I tried unsuccessfully to fix that problem
in my digital model but ran into trouble.  I suspect that Ten-Tec figured a
way to simplify the wiring to the front panel filter switches (thus decrease
construction costs), but at the cost of proper operation.  Not feeling like
rewiring the whole thing, I just let it go.  It is plenty good enough as it
is.

About 12-15 years ago I was down at Ten-Tec and asked them why they didn't
make the Triton again as a low-end rig.  Was told that rigs of that genre
were very labor intensive to build and that the Triton would cost about
$2,200 to build at then current labor costs.  You will note that Jim Reid
has compared his Triton 544 with his Omni VI+ and said that they sound about
the same -- the Triton being able to really pull out the weak signals.

The Argosy is of the same generation as the Tritons, and the old Omni rigs
and sounds the same (provided one replaces the stock 4-pole SSB filter with
the model 220 8-pole filter [this is the case for CW operation as much as
for SSB] ).  The Argosy has provisions for a narrow crystal filter and an
audio CW filter which is probably the same circuitry as that used in the
Triton/Omni rigs.

The only drawbacks to the Argosy rig:
1. They do not have an RF gain control or an attenuator and this bothers
some operators because a strong signal sounds really strong until the AGC
kicks in.
2. The final transistors are difficult to locate and expensive.  Be sure to
use current limiting, either with a Ten-Tec supply or with one of the
magnetic circuit breakers, to protect those transistors.

Hope this helps.

73, Mike N4NT@chartertn.net