[TenTec] Jupiter Current Draw / Digital Modes

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Current Draw / Digital Modes
From: cstill@mis.net (cstill)
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 14:26:01 -0400
Greetings to all. Any help/guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

When running the Jupiter in SSB mode with the 705 mic, I often get reports
of weak audio. I am running the MIC gain at 50% with no processing. Running
the gain up to 75%-85% seems to make little difference. Current draw hovers
around 4-6 amp on an Astron RS35. (Using a dummy load and pressing TUNE
results in current draw of 14amps.) I am also using the supplied 2-conductor
14AWG power cable that came with the radio.

When using the Accessory 1 to connect a KAM+  I can only get 40-45 watts
output with the drive controls in the KAM set to max or min. I have the LINE
input set at 5%. This is where the output peaks. Running the LINE input up
to 8%-10% reduces output to 15-20 watts.

I have sent this rig back to TenTec (darn nice people to deal with!) which
found no problem. Obviously the problem is on my end but I am not sure where
to look and after two full days of experimenting, I am out of things to try.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions
Craig, N4CQR
cstill@mis.net