[TenTec] Jupiter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter
From: jmalloy@hamilton.edu (Joe Malloy)
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:18:35 -0400
Paul, I've had my Jupiter since July of this year and it's a joy to behold.
Mind you, this comes from a fellow with a Triton IV, Argonaut 509, Corsair
(I) and an Elecraft K2, but the Jupiter takes the cake on overall operation
(which takes into account the 100 watts you can use if you have to).  I was
worried that I'd not like the system for punching buttons and using a commom
rotatating control, but it works out very easily (a wish: I wish Ten-Tec
would consider a "Tune" button that would put the rig into low power output;
not a big compaint, you see!).  The transmit reports I get on SSB are
nothing short of fantastic and the QSK, well, it *is* a Ten-Tec!  As far a
adjacent signal rejection, the DSP filter allows one to tighten receive
bandwidth down to 300 cycles; not far enough, in my opinion, but perhaps the
software for it will allow 100 cycles (or less!) some day.  I don't notice
any disadvantage to the received signal from adjent ones, but this is a
general purpose rig, not a dedicated contester's or dx-chaser's super-duper
rig (which cost twice or thrice as much).  But I haven't had much trouble
with the casual cw contesting I've dabbled in with the Jupiter.

Ten-Tec has a 30-day money back guarantee, I believe, so I'd give it a try,
if I were considering getting one -- you can't go wrong (I assume you pay
shipping back, but that's a small price to pay for a chance to try a rig).