[TenTec] Omni VI Plus mod

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus mod
From: jlboockh@otenet.gr (JimB)
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:19:21 +0200
I installed it in my Omni VI+ in the US. The instructions were adequate
although not as clear as those provided by Heathkit. I had to study the
circuit boards awhile to identify what the INRAD drawings referred to.
But there were no problems, and everything worked the first time. Mine
is an older, upgraded Omni VI with discrete components. Newer ones use
surface mount components and I would not have attempted that.

Between this change and the 2.8 khz filter in the 6.4 mhz IF, the sound
makes my Corsair II here sound tinny in comparison. I bought the INRAD
2.8 filter for the 9 mhz IF, but have installed it yet. It will likely
require realignment and I didn't have time to do it.

George at INRAD said this mod uses $2 worth of components and $13 worth
of engineering knowledge. I think it was worth it.

                        Jim  SV0JB (also N4AL)