: Re: [TenTec] New QRP Radio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: : Re: [TenTec] New QRP Radio
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 06:54:53 -0800 (PST)
I can echo your desire for complete computer control
of radios. I am already running a pair of Pegasus
transceivers with Carl's N4PY's software in dual
Pegasus mode. For me there is no going back to knobs
and buttons, in fact I recently picked up an Icom
IC-765 on the cheap, it is a nice radio with big
silky-smooth controls, but for versatility I'll take
the dual Pegasus combination any day, they are so much
easier to operate. So far I've found that the Pegasus
receiver holds up well against the 765 in almost every
respect, and is far better in terms of noise
reduction, PBT, and IF filter selection.

 What I'm watching the 516 for is its computer
capabilities, it will be a bit more economical than
having the Pegasus for driving VHF/UHF transverters.
As any serious VHFer will tell you, you must have
separate radios for each of the lower VHF/UHF bands.
That's why the every band in one box rigs simply don't
cut it. So could I envision using several pairs of
these for that kind of duty. And I wouldn't be
"throwing away" a 100W transmitter either when using
them in transverter IF service. From the looks of
things the 516 is closely based on the 526, witch very
unfortunately doesn't have any computer control
capability at all. Nevertheless I'll keep my fingers
crossed. Hopefully the fine folks at TT will soon shed
some light on this.

73,
Duane
N9DG