[TenTec] Omni V FM

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V FM
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 09:39:25 -0500
I recently installed an FM board in my Omni V and I've been trying to make a
contact on 10 FM.  It seems the band is never open when I'm on the air.
However, last night, I did manage one contact. The other station said my
deviation sounded low - granted this is one report and under less than ideal
condx.  According to the manual deviation and mic gain are set by the
factory. Since my FM board and Omni are no longer new, I wonder if these
settings need adjustment. There are no instructions for doing this and I
suspect that I need equipment (i.e. a deviation meter) that I don't have.

Also, I'm curious about the mic gain setting. For SSB, I adjust that with
the mic gain control. With FM, I understand that the mic gain control is not
used. How does one compensate for different mics and or voice levels?

73,
Mark