[TenTec] Reliable Voice/CW Keyer for Omni VI+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Reliable Voice/CW Keyer for Omni VI+
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 17:53:39 -0500
Frank W8HO wrote:

> I love my pair of Omni Rigs but they do have a "quirk" that makes
> contesting life a bit more difficult than it needs to be.  As anyone who
> uses an Omni knows--the quirk is their 4 pin Mic with electret voltage
> supplied from the rig.

Four pin and electret have nothing to do with it...

> This causes great difficulty for those of us using
> the Heil headsets (or any other Heil Microphone).  The Heil cartridges
> simply won't drive the Omni unless one uses an amplifier like the W2IHY
> amp/equalizer.

Also not true. The Heil cartridge has a bit lower output...I had to put
the mike gain up quite high and did not have quite enough vox gain to
get reliable operation.

The fix?  A call to TT. There were two resistors on one of the Omni VI
circuit boards to be changed. I changed them and my Heil headset and vox
now works FB! This was quite a few years ago (pre-surface mount Omni)
and I don't remember the details, but I'm sure a call to TT will give
you all the info.

Merry Christmas and HNY to all!

73/Carter/K8VT