[TenTec] Next filter?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Next filter?
From: ditzian@alltel.net (ditzian@alltel.net)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:05:03 -0500
I have followed the thread about narrow filters with interest, but I
note that no one has mentioned using very narrow filters on
PSK31.  The theoretical bandwidth of this slow mode is 50 Hz.,
and I do not know if the ringing would bother PSK decoding.  I
would love to try 100 Hz. filters in my Omni VI, or even the 250 Hz.
filters, except I am too cheap to purchase them.  I expect that the
effectiveness of this combination will be evaluated by someone
using IF DSP, when a manufacturer finally includes extremely
narrow filters.

There is the question of whether there is a meaningful increase in
S/N using extremely narrow filters.  Of course, there may be a
problem with drift and losing the other guy, unless both stations are
using extremely stable VFOs, and I do not know if the Omni VI
would suffice here.

73,
Jan Ditzian
KX2A