[TenTec] New Firmware/Jupiter Problem (Maybe)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New Firmware/Jupiter Problem (Maybe)
From: WmLB@prefer.net (WmLB@prefer.net)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:40:52 -0800
First.. thanks to those of you who provided me with the 1.09 firmware,
so that I could go back to that firmware level.

Here is the problem I am experiencing with either the 1.10 or 1.11
firmware releases. In all cases I am running PSK31 on 14.07015.

Everything works normally while using the Jupiter without the N4PY
interface running.

With the N4PY control software running, as soon as I initiate a
transmission, the indicated power goes well beyond what is normal for
the mid range mic gain slider position that I use. Reducing the mic
gain has no effect until it is almost minimum, With zero mic gain,
there is still significant power out being indicated.

I then exited the N4PY software and found that the same symptoms
occurred on the next PSK31 transmission using the Jupiter in it's
normal mode (without the N4PY interface running). I had to reset the
Jupiter in order to get it to run normally.

Next step was to overwrite the 1.11 firmware release with the 1.10
release. The symptoms remained unchanged.

Finally, with the help of you, I over wrote the 1.10 release with the
1.09 firmware. All operations returned to normal.

I chatted with Gary at Ten Tec a while ago and he asked me to try it
with the TT software. I just downloaded that and found the symptoms to
still be present, although they seemed to be more manageable with the
mic gain and audio input level controls. (Something I should not even
have to touch as long as they are set where I normally run them)

I really have no clue as to what's going one. One of you who provided
me with the 1.09 firmware release did indicate that the upgrade had
messed up his Jupiter also, but he did not go into any detail.  I would
appreciate it if any of you using the Jupiter with the N4PY software
would try to replicate the problem... and if you get similar results,
please report to TT support. This may be a a "back burner" issue at TT
until they receive more then just my report.

Regards... Bill, W6WLB