[TenTec] re 756pro2 vs omni 6 plus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] re 756pro2 vs omni 6 plus
From: n1eu@hotmail.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:57:08 -0500
W5YR wrote:
"I wonder if the Omni VI+ has a similar facility for extracting the receive
audio near the demodulator and inserting transmit audio near the balanced
modulator?"

Investigating the AF circuitry of the Omni VI+ led me and others to the
conclusion that true hi-fi receive audio could only be extracted from the
Omni VI+ if the DSP and notch filter IC circuitry were bypassed.

To echo some of the other issues W5YR spoke of, vastly inferior af circuitry
is the rule in virtually every rig I've had my hands on. I've successfully
tapped off the audio in a Triton IV and Corsair soon after the detector, and
the "how-to" info is on my Web site.  The results were outstanding, but as
George describes, you will need to amplify the audio externally.

73,
Barry  N1EU
www.albany.net/~bg