[TenTec] Re: 40 Meter QRP T-Kit Transceiver

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: 40 Meter QRP T-Kit Transceiver
From: ndavis@vt.edu (Nat Davis)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:12:01 -0500
Duffy asked:
>Looking for information from folks who have built the 40 meter (or other
>T-Kit) transceiver.  I just picked one up used and it seems to work just
>fine, but I need to change the frequency coverage.

Duffy,

The frequency range is about 70kHz so it sounds like your measured range is
OK.  When building the kit, the range is shifted up or down by changing the
turns on the oscillator's toriod-wound inductor.  For wide changes, you
could add/remove a turn of wire.  In general, spreading the turns out
around the toroid (vs. compressing the turns together) was enough for me
and several of my friends that built the kit to set the lower frequency
bound where we wanted.  Once the bounds are set, the instruction manual
suggested dripping hot wax over the toroid so the windings wouldn't
move.  If that has been done on your kit, changing the range might be a bit
of a pain!

Good luck with the frequency shifting.  I have enjoyed building my kit and
then using it while on vacation and when camping with my Boy Scout Troop --
I can really get my scouts' attention when I string a dipole between two
trees at camp and start pulling in that sweet sound of CW Qs:-)

73,

Nat Davis
N4EL