[TenTec] Centaur (or any amplifier) Power

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Centaur (or any amplifier) Power
From: kw0d@netexpress.net (Dave Kamp, KW0D)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:34:44 -0600
Chris N4VI either quoted, or wrote:

>(My personal
>philosophy with an amplifier like this would be to run it at 450 to 500
>W.  There's precious little to be gained by pushing it to its absolute
limits.) "

Y'know, this really is the truth... if the Centaur, or any amplifier...
doesn't have enough power for you at say... 50% of it's realized output,
the better plan would be to move to a more substantial amplifier... either
that, or you're using too much power, and not enough antenna.

I can fully understand and relate to concerns about low output and high
drive requirements, because without a critical eye, one isn't able to
diagnose problems they'd normally be keen to, so if I thought an amp wasn't
up-to-snuff, that'd be my cue to look around and see if it's doing
something that's causing QRM or a safety problem.

But in the realm of power, I've been using my Centurion on all seven bands,
powering it from 120vac... just like I ran my SB-220.  On the low-voltage
tap, amps in this class loose a little dynamic regulation, so they're a
little bit tired towards the top end, but I've got a half-decent set of
antennas, so I rarely go beyond about 350w.  Only time I really twist the
screws is when there's a high static level on the two lowest.  In that
respect, it seems pointless to have an amp capable of a KW or more, but I'm
sure it'll last a good long time...

DK  :-)

73's from KW0D Dave in LeClaire, Iowa