[TenTec] Orion prototype

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion prototype
From: sdprat@worldnet.att.net (Scott Prather)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:56:57 -0800
Jim-The first receiver (that I'm aware of) to utilize DSP in such a way that
the
S-meter is independent of the RF Gain, front-end attenuator, preamp, etc.
was the Watkins-Johnson HF-1000 back in 1994 (my review of the HF-1000
appeared in the Spring, 1995 issue of Communications Quarterly). The
HF-1000's S-meter was calibrated from -120 to 0 dBm, in 2 dB increments. It
was a strange experience, indeed, to listen to a weak signal (at, say, -100
dBm), turn on the preamp, hear the S/N improve but see the S-meter remain
locked at -100 dBm.  If only all S-meters worked that way!

As for the differences in the receiver between the Pegasus and the Orion,
while you may find that many of the preliminary specs are fundamentally the
same, they may not tell the whole story.  Considering the proposed price tag
of the Orion, I would expect it to incorporate a synthesizer with extremely
low phase noise, something that is not true of the Pegasus.  Depending upon
how receiver certain parameters are measured, the effects of phase noise
(and other impairments) may not always show up as a degradation in the
performance numbers.

Although I never had an Omni VI or VI+, the receiver in these rigs has a
reputation for being one of the best available for amateur use, and since
the Orion replaces this radio, I would expect the same level of performance,
along
with added functionality provided by an IF-based DSP.  That's no small
feat in a synthesized radio, so I'll be quite interested to see what the
folks in Sevierville come up with.

Scott
N7NB