[TenTec] auto tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] auto tuner
From: wg6h@pacbell.net (Bill Miner)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 11:04:43 -0800
Steve Ellington wrote:

> Auto tuners have become standard on newer equipment because hams like
> them. It seems strange to me why we would want a rig with so many features
> an leave out one of the most popular items of the day.
> So I suppose with this rig you will need to crank the roller inductor and
> capacitors, flip switchs, reduce power, tune for dips just like the old
> tube days.

Steve,

Please consider that most built in tuners (with the possible exception
of those from LDG) have a very limited range.  If you do not have a
resonate antenna and plan to use an amplifier, some type of external
antenna tuner will be required anyway.

I use my 238 tuner with several different radios and rarely if ever use
the built in tuner in my other rigs.

Built in tuners ad to the complexity and cost of the rig. They also take
up a lot of room inside that can be put to better use (accessory filters
perhaps?)!

73,
Bill - K6WLM