[TenTec] Orion Aesthetics..Another point of View

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Aesthetics..Another point of View
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 08:09:20 -0500
> IMO Ten Tec has probably decided to introduce the Orion  this way to
> get opinions while still  in the prototype phase with time for some
> revisions pre-production.
>
> Here are my revision suggestions:

> even prefer Battleship Gray over Rice Box Black. I like the Rx340
> colors as well. Dump the gold trim Ten Tec, its way too tacky
>
> 2. Needs and internal tuner capability even if only as an option. (if
> the Jupiter can now receive an optional on-board AT-11 type tuner, I
> cannot believe that TT would not do the same in this rig).
>
> 3. 150 watts would be nice. High end rig users will expect it these
> days..

The K2 is mostly an indicator of how careless designers are, rather
than how good or special the K2 actually is. It doesn't use any
special care, or even special technology, and it equals or beats
almost anything else we can buy.

Personally I think if some build a reliable high performance radio
they will sell the heck out of them. The market for do-nothing bells-
and-whistles radios is saturated by the poorly-performing key-
clicking splattering radios with 2000 adaptive filters everyone sells
today.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope they build a radio that
works really well, which we won't actually know until they release
the radio.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com