[TenTec] My Orion Thoughts

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My Orion Thoughts
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:54:54 -0600
Internal Tuner?

I don't need no stinkin' internal antenna tuner.  I am sure the current
price is based on T-T's estimates of the value of the radio based on various
criteria.  Adding an internal tuner can only raise the price of the radio.
Addition of a tuner is further complicated by the fact that the radio
transmitter side is switchable between two different bands/antennas almost
instantly.  Would that necessitate two internal tuners or a more complex
internal tuner capable of handling the switching?  Either would have to
raise the price ($200, 300, 400, 500, more?).  An internal tuner is one more
thing to go wrong in the radio, T-T service reputation notwithstanding.

I think an external antenna tuner (or tuners) would be a more cost effective
and effective way to go.  For those of us who rarely use an antenna tuner,
we would be paying for an unnecessary, unneeded and expensive white
elephant--can you say appendix?  I've never minded the fact that my Omni
VI's don't have an internal tuner.  I rarely use the antenna tuner that is
on my desktop--12, 17, 30m activities with antennas not for those bands.  If
I need it, I can switch it in.

Color Scheme
The color scheme of the radio has little or no influence on my decision to
buy or not buy a radio.  Except for the power supplies and the two Omni's,
no piece of equipment on my radio desk matches another piece of equipment.
Personally, I liked the Omni VI color scheme.  I can live with whatever
color scheme Ten-Tec puts forward.

When I buy a car, I'm after the car's performance, feel and comfort more
than the color. Even though I have a number of color selections to choose
from, it's not a deal-breaker for me.  I'm inside the car when I'm using it.
If I cared what people have to look at when they look at my car, I guess it
could be. I certainly don't sit in the driveway or garage admiring my car's
color scheme.  I certainly don't recall ever thinking about the color scheme
of my Omni VI's while operating.  I doubt I'd do the same with an Orion.

Besides, Home Depot has a great paint section for those who can't tolerate
the radio's color scheme.

Zero Beat Tools?
Huh?  What difference does being a few Hz 'off frequency' from the other
station make?  The CW bands are not THAT crowded that a few Hz hysteris
between the two stations will be a problem.  If you want to get really
close, build an external PLL circuit to light an LED when the signal is
within a few Hz of the PLL's bandpass.  Leave that geegaw (and the cost) off
the radio.  I don't need it.  I'm sure many others don't either.  Pressing
and holding the Mode button works for me the few times I use it.

Display Brightness and Color
Color would be nice, I'm sure.  Maybe a switchable color/mono/reverse
funtionality?  More importantly, a (menu-settable?) brightness level control
should at least be available.  Spending 30 or so hours in front of the radio
on a contest weekend and having a bright display in a dimly lit radio room
boring a hole in my eye's rods and cones is not a pleasing prospect.

Output Power
The ability to go to 150 watts might be nice.  However, I think by upgrading
my coax runs, I can make up the 1.7dBm difference 150w vs. 100w makes; very
likely for less than the additional cost of the Orion's possible increased
radio output power.  More important to me, powerwise, is the ability to
REDUCE power output to QRP and/or near-zero levels.

Remote VFO Tuning
Yes, please.  Without it, it's a step backwards.

I, for one, am looking forward to the radio's availability.  Whatever
Ten-Tec ultimately offers in it, I'm confident it will be good.

73,
dale, kg5u