[TenTec] Orion / SO2R Definition

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion / SO2R Definition
From: aa4nu@ix.netcom.com (Billy Cox)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:35:25 -0600
>I suspect that these kinds of issue will become hotly
>debated in the contesting circles before long.

Old news ...

Already has ... check the CQ-Contest reflector before,
during, and especially AFTER any of the major contests
for comments all across the board on this very topic.

More to the point ... the FT-1000D, TS950SDX, etc
can not receive while it's transmitter is on ... that's why
most consider SO2R to be Single Op 2 Receivers,
with ONE active transmitter.

The contest rules state ONE signal at a time ...

So, the FT-1000-D is a single radio ... as you can't
transmit on say 20m CW and 80 CW at the same time.

The Orion (hopefully, right Scott?) will bring the ability of
one "box" to the next higher level ... that's a real plus.
Not quite a true 2 rcvr, 2 xmtr in 1 box, but close ...

One of the secrets of what the Orion offers is the interfacing
for the antenna switching, and amp(s) keying ... Look closely
at the FT-1000 series. Having the potential too receive on
two different bands is one thing, actually achieving that is
another ... the FT1000 series does present some challenges
as to switching the right antenna on the right band, etc. It
can be done ... many have. Where the Orion may shine is
that TT has done the hard part already ... That's a real plus.

So ... Be ready for the guys who run a 2x Orion setup to
keep pushing the edge of technology ... it will happen!

73 Billy AA4NU