[TenTec] Carl, Pmni, 756 etc

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Carl, Pmni, 756 etc
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:17:47 -0500
> DSP currently has some setbacks but that doesn't mean we should slam
> technology.

I haven't seen anyone slam technology when it is *properly* applied.

Factually, almost anyone on 160 or 80 meters would notice close
spaced IM DR in the 70dB or less range if they work weak CW
signals on a crowded band. For true high performance, 80+dB
would be a minimum. That's true no matter how many filters the
receiver has, the name on the front, and whether it is a super regen
or 64 bit DSP.

The sad part is, there is often no excuse for the performance. For
example, the TS-2000 is only ten dB cleaner than a typical class C
amplifier, and over 25dB worse on transmitter third order than a
1960's KWM-2!  The CW keyers in most transceivers use dot to
dash ratio controls (that are useless) and wrongly call it "weight",
and most rigs have needless keyclicks.

If we don't ask for better performance and point out shortfalls or
errors, problems will never be corrected.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com