[TenTec] Omni V vs. Headphones

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V vs. Headphones
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:14:42 -0500
Recently, I connected my Kenwood HS-5 headphones to my Omni V. There is a
noticeable rumble in the audio. The level of this rumble seems to be
independent of the AF Gain setting. In fact, with the AF gain at minimum,
the rumble is still present.  If I partially remove the headphone plug, so
that the speaker is again active, but there is still audio in the
headphones, the rumble completely disappears.

I tried a Heil ProSet Plus headset. It does not exhibit the rumble, even
when the speaker is muted.

I suspect that this is an impedance issue. The impedance of the Kenwood
headset is 8 ohms. The Heil is 200 ohms.

Is there a simple fix that could be made into an adapter cable that would
allow the Kenwood headset to be used?

73,
Mark