[TenTec] Off Topic: File Conversion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Off Topic: File Conversion
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:59:42 -0500
I need to trouble some of the other computer professionals here with a small
problem.

I've been asked to rewrite a small company's mailing list application.
They've been using Professional File 2.0 for years -- yeah, the old DOS
application.

Problem is finding a conversion program or utility.  I'd be happy just to
convert it to comma delimited ASCII and then import it into something else.

Now, first obvious question is, why don't I use PF2 to do that?  Would if I
could.  My copy of the PF source code is on floppy.  Two 360 kB 5 1/4
Floppies, to be precise.  Haven't used them in years (and the copyright date
on the disk is 1988...).  Tried to read them in a machine tonite (yes, I
have one or two with 5 1/4 drives for just this purpose) and the disks are
no longer good.

dBase III+ and dBase IV import pfs:File and PF 1.0 files, but not 2.0.
dBase V and higher dropped the capability.  I'm looking for an old copy of
Lotus 1-2-3 right now to see if that had it.

Any suggestions would be helpful.  (If someone still has a working set of
the install disks and can zip them up, that would be best, but I'm not
holding out that much hope).  Meantime, I'm searching the disks and
searching the web, but I figured it would be worth asking in the meantime.

Thanks!

73, ron wn3vaw
"Pain Heals
 Chicks dig scars.