[TenTec] Is Jupiter better than the Icom 746

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Is Jupiter better than the Icom 746
From: joe_word@yahoo.com (Joe Word)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:29:20 -0800 (PST)
Answers to some questions asked:

1. The IC-746 and Jupiter would receive a week signal
about the same, the 746 would have much more white
noise. The IC-746 has more noise with the NR on than
the Jupiter has with NR off.
2. Yes, I do have problems with RF getting into the
Jupiter. When using the same antenna, ground system,
ext speaker and mic on the IC-746 I do not have any
problems. Please note, my operating location is not
ideal, shack is on the second floor 12 feet from the
ground system and my 10 - 20 meter beam is at 37 feet,
about 25 feet over my head.
3. I am a SSB operator.

73,

Joe  K9MAN

---------- I previously wrote ---------
John,

I did own an Icom IC-746 and now own a Jupiter.
Compared them side-by-side for about a month. I
decided to keep the Jupiter and sell the IC-746
because the Jupiter was much quieter on receive. Here
are my thoughts on the two rigs:

Jupiter strong points.
1. Quiet receiver.
2. Better audio reports on transmit.
3. Digital filters, I use them as often as I use RIT.
4. Very seldon use NR because the rig is so quiet, but
used NR all the time on the IC-746. NR does work great
on 75 meters and has no (none) watery sound.
5. Not picky about SWR, will put out full power at
high SWR.

IC-746 strong points and what you lose with the
Jupiter.
1. One button band selection.
2. Triple band stacking registers.
3. Twin passband tuning.
4. Antenna tuner.
5. Much better display.
6. Better control knob feel, the Jupiter's multi knob
feels like you are turning a stick molasses.
7. Less prone to have RF problems in rig.

Well this is my opinion...

Joe  K9MAN