[TenTec] what is "quiet"?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] what is "quiet"?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:04:06 -0500
> Well you mentioned the modified Drake R4C. Is that what you normally
> use on 160 for high noise, weak signals?

Yes, but they have almost entirely new circuitry, from mixers to
audio. Stock they need a whole lot of work, they really aren't as
good as many other newer receivers.

Rebuilt with solid-state components and new circuitry, they do in
the 100dB or more DR area at close signal spacing. That makes
them virtually immune to overload....and the new circuitry isn't
special, expensive, or even new technology. (That's why I'm
puzzled no one else does anything better than the "ho-hum" ~80
dB or less IM DR at close test spacing. It's not that difficult to do
better.)

Unfortunately they are so far removed from stock with new mixers,
amplifiers, and AGC systems we should hardly call them R4C's.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com