[TenTec] Corsair II & HB power supply

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II & HB power supply
From: mandolinist@interlync.com (Gary Smith)
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:28:00 -0500
Greetings,

I'm new to the list and have a question.

First the preamble...

Back in 94 I built a power supply I haven't used since then. I built it to
power a KW
solid state linear I never got around to making and now am using the PS to
power my
corsair.

I have been till now using a large size deep cycle 1,000 amp Gell-Cell for
power with
a battery charger connected with a timer so as not to get any hum while it's
charging
( would charge while I'm asleep)

I used to notice a fair amnt of dimming with the gel cell though it is
sufficent to power
(through an inverter) 200 watts for over 12 hours. Now I'm working more night
DX
and decided to use this old power supply instead since it's very well filtered
& analog
(not a switching supply & the transformer weighs maybe 70 pounds alone & came
from an old mainframe from the 70's).

It provides 14.5V
If I remember correctly, I designed it to provide 140 amps.

So after all that, here's the question:

Should I still see dimming of the lights when I transmit. The leads to the rig
are: (3)
12 guage wires in parallel for each + & - lead. They are aprox 4' long.

I called Ten_Tec and asked about the dimming and they said it was probably
caused
by RFI. I have a bird Dummy load & connected it to the rig with a 2' coax & got
the
same dimming results.

To make it more interesting, I get far less dimming using the power supply than
running off the Battery which should be able to develop more amps than the
power
supply. Still, there is dimming with transmit.

Any clue why I'm getting this dimming of the lights?

I'm thinking of running a sensing lead from the PS to the Corsair's input to
gaurantee
constant voltage/power.

Overkill?

Thanks & Cheers,