[TenTec] Re: Remote Pegasus, RS-232 line lengths

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Remote Pegasus, RS-232 line lengths
From: kayser@sympatico.ca (Larry Kayser)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:20:00 -0400
Greetings All.

IF and it is an IF the RS-232 is fully implemented, at least + and - 12V on
transmit and a full receiver, ie 1488/1489 pair, then it is very surprising
how far one can go with RS-232.

I have done it inside factories at over 800 ft regularly and I run an
RS-232 line into a RG-59 Coax here on my Island qth and it goes for over
1200 ft with excellent results at 4800 bps.

It is good to see everyone who tries running a Pegasus or any form or radio
over a LAN (or the Internet) is hurt by the latency and absolute delay
issues, this is NOT an issue if one uses standard PC MODEM's and runs over
the telephone switched network.

Good Luck to everyone doing things new ways....

73
Larry
VA3LK