[TenTec] CW Dead? Apparently not...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW Dead? Apparently not...
From: geraldj@isunet.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:53:01 -0500
That's a relatively cheap Japanese key of the 60s, ball bearing pivots.
Its NOT a J-38. Not that a J-38 was ever a great key. I think I paid
about $28 for a good E.F. Johnson "speed" key (conventional key) about
1972. I mounted it on a steel plate and warmed it up at 29.8 WPM in my
first (and only) test. Last year I bought a Western Electric 2A Legless
key at a hamfest for $15 or 20. Looks like it may be a century old,
though many were made beginning about 1885. And that was the going price
on epay last year for that model key. I find a bit of graphite or
molybdenum disulfide powder on the pivots allows the good keys to roll
along quite nicely without a need for ball bearings. My E.F Johnson key
gets a new supply every ten years or so.

73, Jerry, K0CQ
--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson. Reproduction by
permission only.