[TenTec] eHam reviews....

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] eHam reviews....
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 21:10:58 -0400
Ah, but it's a careful knife edge to walk.  Should Ten Tec threaten to pull
their ads due to the fact that eHam is permitting obvious (to us) smears as
2nd hand negative ads, then Ten Tec gets accused of trying to force eHam of
showing bias in their favor.

Reservations by the editor of the reviews regarding Ten Tec (or any other
manufacturer) equipment does not neccesarily mean that the owners of eHam
have the same reservations.  Most of the editors for the various parts of
eHam are volunteers with no other connection to eHam.

Besides, consider this:  eHam.net and contesting.com have the same
ownership.  Now, how many reflectors does contesting.com host?  That should
tell you something to.

Having said that, I think it is our responsibility, as amateurs and users of
eHam.net & contesting.com,  to request that NO "2nd hand" reviews of ANY
kind for ANY product be accepted in the future, and all existing ones should
be dropped (as reviews) on the grounds that they are too prone to unfair
bias.  If you don't have hands on experience with an item, then you are not
reviewing, you are voicing an opinion.   Reviews should require some factual
basis (yes, I know they don't always, but that's another story).  Opinions
don't (yes, they should too, but again...).

73, ron wn3vaw

'Never attribute to malice that which is adequately
  explained by stupidity.' --Hanlon's Razor