[TenTec] New Jupiter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New Jupiter
From: Dan.Newby@cpspet.com (Dan.Newby@cpspet.com)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:51:53 -0400
What is this 507?  Does Ten Tec have the matching speaker out for the
Jupiter now?  I didn't see it on their web site just a few minutes ago.
What does it look like?

Thanks,
Dan

                      "Bill Nicolson"

                      <n2wf@comcast.net        To:
<TenTec@contesting.com>
                      >                        cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [TenTec] New Jupiter

                      tentec-admin@cont

                      esting.com

                      05/10/2002 11:50

                      AM

Hi Gang,
I am a relativity new Jupiter owner (one week) but totally agree with Ben
on
his
impressions of the Jupiter. I Just installed a new Ten Tec 507 speaker, and
it does
a wonderful job enhancing an already great sounding receiver. At $98 It may
not be for everyone but I think it was money well spent. I also picked up
the
302J remote control pod, but I haven't experimented enough to comment
on it yet.
I too have owned many rigs (the XYL thinks too many!!) and all though the
Jupiter might not be a serious contesters rig, I find it perfect for casual
contesting, DXing and rag chewing.
I read the reports on eham about the receiver being deaf on the upper bands
(15 - 10M) so I did A/B comparisons with my FT990 and Yes it would
appear to be too quiet at first but any weak signal I tuned in on the 990 I
could
hear equally well on the Jupiter without all the background noise. An S3
was
S3 on both rigs but I could listen to the Jupiter all day without getting
worn out!!
Guess what, the 990 is for sale now.
73 de Bill N2WF

Bill Nicolson - N2WF - K2 #1764
Colonia - New Jersey
E-Mail - n2wf@arrl.net
Web - http://www.qsl.net/n2wf

> Its been some time since there was a posting here. I found a moment and
wish
> to comment on the absolutely flawless performance of my Jupiter. I can't
get
> over how nicely all the controls bring together nice sounding sideband/cw
> stuff I've been doing lately. Much more satisfying than the TS 570 I
owned
> for a year in '99, and noticeably better than the Omni VI+ I've been
> operating since then till Jan. when I got the Jup.
> I've hooked up the 6 meter Xverter to the Jupiter but haven't had a Qso
on
6
> yet. I like the way it works both with the Peg mode and the Jup mode. I
just
> haven't heard a signal yet but for the local beacons. Man that QSK is
smooth!
> Everything works great with the Centurion. Having said all that, I'm
looking
> forward to going back to the Omni VI+ for awhile, just to enjoy it. I use
> Nye Viking paddles which are my favorite with occasional forays with the
> G4ZPY single lever. I rarely use the Vibroplex Iambic anymore. I flat
sold
> the Bencher in the 80s.
> Well, since I hooked up the I.C.E. broadcast band high pass filter to the
> rear of the Jupiter, I've had zero problem with desense/overload, so no
> birdies/images from there. Lotsa sensitive on 160, 80 and 40. Nice quiet
> noise floor when the bands are quiet.
> Static crashes are softened some compared with other rcvrs, must be the
AGC
> action. If I hit the NR button, static is reduced to zip. Hallelujah to
DSP