[TenTec] RE: Wierd postings, virii etc., et al, et ux

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Wierd postings, virii etc., et al, et ux
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 15:11:40 EDT
Virus writers remind me of the idiots who used to short sheet barracks beds,
balance buckets of water on doors, and play other "practical jokes." Like
holding a chunk of dry ice in the palm of their hand while they shook hands
with you.

But in those days you could give the idiots a few good thumpings and they
would straighten up. These jokers are ordiarily beyond reach. So all you can
do is try to keep them out of your computer.

I take all the computers I have that have I'net access to www.grc.com and let
Steve Gibson's robots
test my ports, probe my shields, etc. You can read all the details on his
website, and He has some neat freebie programs that close up a computer
pretty tight - they are recommended. Both by me and by the testing
organizations. I strongly suggest you button your box up tight as Grant's
coffin. The Grant that's in Grant's tomb. You should only have one peephole
to scan the Net through.

The best OUTGOING program I have found is "zonealarm," which was and may
still be free at www.zonealarm.com. I have ZA set so ANY internet
access requires my permission. Including this Email.

And yes, I still use Norton AntiVirus. And update the whole shooting match
three times a week.

If all that sounds like a whole lot of trouble - it is. But it's easier than
reformatting a hard drive and reinstalling an OS. Its just not nearly as much
fun as delivering a well deserved whuppin' to some blooming idiot who would
deliberately give a total stranger some grief.

73 Pete Allen AC5E