[TenTec] Re: Orion Concern

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion Concern
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 13:23:08 -0500
Duane makes a good point.  We have only to look at the price differential
between flat screen color computer displays and monochrome to see what a
difference in price that can make.  And those are large volume applications,
driving the relative price down.

For an amateur radio transceiver of perhaps a production run of 1000 pieces,
it would be very expensive to provide for both a color display and a
monochrome.  Their is not standardization of these displays, I am afraid;
and mechanically it would not be practical most likely.

The suggestion to simply implement color via the computer control port (if
desired) seems like a reasonable option.  But, I am not a video programmer,
to know if that presents unique difficulties.  I think it would be like
building a National Instruments Labview software screen for an A/D system,
which our programmers do all the time.  They establish pseudo spectrum
displays, voltage meters, etc.

Perhaps eventually Ten Tec will state if the color option via the computer
port is viable.

-Stuart Rohre K5KVH