[TenTec] Inrad filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Inrad filters
From: cyr999@extremezone.com (Tim and Nancy Logan)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 10:01:31 -0700
Hi Rick -

I had an an Omni V completely filled with Inrads - optimized for cw. I
think I was an overzealous newbie when I did this. I think the Inrad
filters were excellent - no doubt about it - and yes I noticed the
difference. For me, in retrospect, was the difference worth the price?
My own opinion is that it was not. If I were to buy another TenTec I
would not fill it with Inrads. I simply think it is over kill.

For most of us who don't sit with scopes and check out the differences
on these filters, TenTec's filters are just fine. TenTec did not get its
reputation by providing poor filters. They can be improved, but for 99%
of ops, I bet the difference would not mean that much to them during
cxasual operation.

Those who listen to SSB have enjoyed putting the wider Inrad 2.8 filters
in, but that is a trade off - Ten Tec wanted the 2.4s in there to help
make sure you got the message in during QRM etc - you get the idea.

 As always, these are only my opinions - as I have learned the hard way,
what is right for me may not be right for the next fellow. For example,
I now use an Icom 756PRO (not to say I still don't love TenTec - just
temporarily without a TenTec rig hi hi)  and believe it to be
outstanding - but others could easily disagree with me. If you do buy
Inrads, try to get them used, and sell the TenTec filters - if you are
lucky you might windup netting only $25 out per filter. If you are not
replacing a filter but buying a new filter, then I would get an Inrad.
Hope this helps. Regards, Tim Logan NZ7C