[TenTec] Re: 516 Price in Perspective

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: 516 Price in Perspective
From: Art" <rtgsdad@mchsi.com (Art)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 13:37:58 -0500
The consumer and producer price indices are weighted-average samples of
marketbaskets of goods which are believed to reflect the spending habits of
either a personal consumer or producer.  Productivity gain has nothing to do
with such measure, nor should it.  However, these are averages, and as Zig
Ziglar once said, "if a man has one foot in a bucket of ice water, and the
other foot in a bucket of boiling water, on average he should be pretty
comfortable."  Our rigs may just be in the boiling water...

Issues of productivity do bear on this, however, because without increases
in productivity, there would be greater inflation (ceteris parabis).
Increases in wage rates, if not accompanied by increases in productivity,
result either in inflation (if the costs can be passed along to the
end-user, which in the case of the Argonaut V may be true) or reduced
margins in a more competitive and less differentiated marketplace, such as
TVs, stereos, PCs and CD players.  This is an issue of the price elasticity
of demand, and the availability of substitute goods, which helps determine
this factor.  What percentage of sales that would have occurred at $595 are
lost at $795?  If the difference is less than 25%, Ten Tec stands to gain
(aside from issues of marketshare).

I don't doubt that an Argonaut might run less than $200 in parts, and even
in the labor-hours to assemble it, but I also wonder about the design costs,
marketing costs, and amortized overhead.  Of course the amateur line may be
subsidizing the government bids, but if it is the other way around (which
has been claimed by other manufacturers of ham gear), we should be glad that
Ten Tec maintains its commitment to the amateur market.

The point has been made that we get far more for our $$ today in our gear
than we did 30, 20, or even 10 years ago, in terms of features, performance,
and inflation adjusted dollars.  We also spend our money in far more places,
often leaving us less disposable income overall, but that may be more an
issue of lifestyle and priorities, not inflation or value.

73,
Art, KC2G