[TenTec] 516 Pricing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 516 Pricing
From: beemoe@sympatico.ca (Wayne Montague/Ann Beattie)
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 15:43:38 -0400
I am having some trouble understanding just what the issue is
with some folks on the pricing of the 516.

Is the problem that the price of the radio has gone up from the
initial announcement? Well, the initial announcement was for a 5
watt radio. While I can't say for sure, my bet is that some
other enhancements were added since then too. Are these extra
items 'worth' the additional cost? I can't answer that one for
you.

If you were to look at the price of a loaded Elecraft K2 or the
SG2020 ADSP, you'll find the price of the 516 'in line'. I don't
want to start a comparison war, but compared to those other
radios, you get a real S Meter, modern IF DSP, PBT, VOX, TCXO
option, all mode, true IF variable bandwidth, NB, 1 Hz tuning
resolution, and likey more. I'd say the price of the 516 is not
out of line at all.

I've owned both the SG2020 and the K2. While its hard to compare
these to 'vaporware', the 516 appears to be a more balanced,
mature radio for general Amateur use. You have choices other
than the 516 if there are items of specific issue. For me, I
think the 516 is *the* $800.00 HF radio.

Wayne
VE3EFJ