[TenTec] What's with the 526 (6N2)?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] What's with the 526 (6N2)?
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:31:36 -0400
Larry,

Well, FWIW:

Although I don't own a 526 (yet), Dave W3HND from my club does.  I asked him
a few weeks back what he thought about it when I found this out, and this is
what he said:
It's ok! i like it. it's about the size of their "scout", which i had as my
1st rig after coming back to ham radio after my 20 year haitus. it's a
simple machine to program, much easier than the yeasu 8100 which it
replaced. only 20 watts, as compared with the 50 or 60 of the 8100, but i
used it in our recent 2 meter simplex contest and worked everything that i
could hear, even though i didn't submit a log. the 8100 was advertised on
our reflector, but it sold quickly on eham. the kenwood replaced the scout,
but the scout was a hard sell, so it was traded in against the 526. if the
scout had gone easily, i'd probably still be using the 8100 ! so with the
8100/526 switch, i gave up 440 mhz but gained 50 mhz, but still have 440
with the IC-207, won at last year's breezeshooters hamfest, in the car.

i'm always curious about audio quality, and have heard no comments about the
526, but have heard occasional comments about the 8100, which were always
good. what do you think about the 526?

73, dave

Last time I talked with him, he was still using the 526, and he still
reports he's having a lot of fun with it.

73, ron wn3vaw

"And they give you cash,
which is just as good as money!"
Yogi Berra, AFLAC Commercial, 2002