[TenTec] In Rush Protection

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] In Rush Protection
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:12:08 -0400
Well, at least for my Centurion (I'm the second owner, amp built in '93
or '94 [?]), the answer is: yes and no.

It all depends on how you define "in-rush protection". To my
understanding, that phrase always referred to reduced voltage applied to
the filaments for a short time right at turn on. From this viewpoint, my
Centurion does NOT have in-rush protection. The full line voltage hits
the primary of the filament transformer immediately.

However, it DOES apply reduced voltage to the primary of the HIGH
VOLTAGE transformer for one second (reference page 5-47 of Centurion
manual).

So, to summarize, "No" for filaments, "Yes" for high voltage (for my amp
at least), your mileage may vary...

73/Carter/K8VT

P.S.
A guy in Florida is selling a filament in-rush protection kit for the
Heath SB-220 amp, which also uses two 3-500s. Could it be adapted to the
Centurion...???