[TenTec] Paragon on MARS?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon on MARS?
From: wb2vuf@qsl.net (Bwana Bob)
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 22:55:44 -0400
I used my Paragon I on Air Force Mars about 10 years ago. I was inspired
by all the traffic they were handling for Desert Shield and Desert
Storm. However, I got in on the tail end of this operation. By the time
I finished the training program in the message forms and protocols that
are unique to MARS, the traffic volume had dropped to almost nil!

Oh, well, the Paragon performed well, and I agree that it is a great
rig. There were some problems with the VCO boards, but once I reflowed
the solder they have been fine. I think its a very reliable and capable
rig.

One word of caution: I read that MARS and CAP tightened their frequency
tolerance standard to (I think) 20 ppm. This would exclude anything
(like the Paragon) that doesn't use a TCXO or OCXO, so check with your
MARS officials to see if the Paragon can be "grandfathered" (or maybe,
don't ask, don't tell).

                        73,

                        Bob WB2VUF