[TenTec] RE: Astron blows regulators

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Astron blows regulators
From: dslosty@pipeline.com (dslosty@pipeline.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:32:40 -0400
I've had the same problem with my RS35M.
The regulator chip in mine is an LM723 chip.
I've had to replace it around 6 times over 12 years.

I'm not sure that spikes are taking it out. I think it's a matter of pass
transistor emitter/base current and the maximum current rating of the 723
series regulator. I think that their design was pushing the 723 to its limit.

I finally found a 723 brand that seems a bit more rugged (don't remember which)
and haven't had a recurrance in three years. BTW, I did check the pass
transistors
for leakage, etc and found no problems.

It took around 4 years for the original chip to fail.
I suspect that some original 723's were more rugged and so the supplies in
which they
were installed never failed.

Doug/WA1TUT