[TenTec] Paragon vs. Omni V Questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon vs. Omni V Questions
From: Dan.Newby@cpspet.com (Dan.Newby@cpspet.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:19:03 -0400
Steve,

Back when the Paragon and Omni V were in production, I had both and put
them side by side on the bench to compare receivers. I'm sure that if the
two radios had the receivers specs measured with test gear the Omni V would
have been what it was spec'd to be, which it was suppose to be the quieter
more sensitive receiver. However, I was only interested in what difference
I could hear in real operating conditions and natural noises on the air
play heavily into that.

So what I did was to use an antenna switch so that I could switch the same
antenna between the two rigs and would find the weakest signal I could
still understand what was being said on one of the radios. Then I would
switch to the other and find that same signal. At that point switch back
and forth, keeping the audio levels equal, and see on which radio I could
understand the station the best.

As it turned out, I could tell absolutely no difference between the two on
160m - 20m. I wasn't quite sure if I could tell a difference on 15m, so I
had to call it even. On 10m, the Omni V did have a slight advantage, but
only slight. So, the Omni V went on its way and I kept the Paragon.

Now days, with the new 60m band possibility, I would definitely get the
Paragon. You only have to cut a jumper wire, reset the CPU, and you have
coverage.

Hope this helps,

Dan
WD4LUR

                      "Steve"

                      <sswhite@mchsi.co        To:
<tentec@contesting.com>
                      m>                       cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [TenTec] Paragon vs.
Omni V Questions
                      tentec-admin@cont

                      esting.com

                      08/06/2002 06:58

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Steve"

I am trying to understand the differences in performance of the Omni V as
compared to the Paragon.  Setting aside for the moment the differences in
the keyboard layouts and the man machine interface what opinions does the
group have on receiver and transmitter performance of these two fine
radios?
Are there sources of RS-232 boards for the Paragon still or are they so
rare
that unless it comes with one that you are out of luck.

steve

 NOTICE:  This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may
 contain legally privileged and confidential information intended solely
 for the use of the addressee.  If the reader of this message is not the
 intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
 dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or
 its attachments, hyperlinks, or any other files of any kind is strictly
 prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
 the sender immediately by telephone (865-218-2000) or by a reply to this
 electronic mail message and delete this message and all copies and
 backups thereof.