[TenTec] Help with PTO rebuild...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Help with PTO rebuild...
From: Tim English <te@usol.com> (Tim English)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 20:58:04 -0400
Ok here's the deal folks... I ordered a PTO rebuild kit for my Corsair =
II which should be here in a day or so. I figured I would get a head =
start and successfully removed the PTO and have the covers off exposing =
the brass shafts with a lot of red grease. At this point does the PTO =
get further disassembled or is this extent of the dis-assembly ? I =
assume what I need to do at this point is to clean the shafts and main =
bearing free of all the existing grease, correct ? What is the best =
solvent to help clean this grease away or should I just get LOTS of =
Q-TIPS ?Do I need to remove the plastic bearing end cap and clean that =
free of grease as well ? There is a smaller diameter shaft on top that =
has a spring on it. Does this shaft also get de-greased and RE-greased =
as well ? The main brass shaft that goes into the iron core... how do I =
get down inside there to clean that grease out ? Also I would like to =
know what exactly causes PTO warble ? Is it drying out of grease in the =
main bearing or elsewhere or basically all greased area's ? Is there =
anything that I should know that the TenTec instructions will not cover =
such as hints or tips ? I don't want to have to do this again for awhile =
if I can help it. Please reply via email if possible because I get the =
mailing list in digest form and would like to get any help asap. Thanks =
alot guys.
--
Tim, K8TJ
te@usol.com