[TenTec] re: No 6M on the Orion (WTB: Ten-Tec 526 6N2)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] re: No 6M on the Orion (WTB: Ten-Tec 526 6N2)
From: khopper@uchicago.edu (Ken Hopper)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:49:32 -0500
Quoting from Ken Bourne Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:28:27

       http://www.n9vv.com/w6hk.html

"Regarding RF power, the ORION's output will be a ROBUST 100 watts, 100% duty
cycle, into ANY SWR! A higher output is not possible, due to the 13.8 Vdc
power supply and choice of output device for optimum HF operation. Regarding
HF-only operation (no 6 meters), that decision was based on the type of
transmitter output stage for optimum HF operation (a different output device
would be more costly, and would compromise the overall HF performance). I
suspect that receiver specs would also have been compromised (and be made more
costly) by expanding operation to 6 meters. External transverters are the best
route to take, and Scott indicated that the frequency display would be
configurable to show the actual transverter operating frequency!"

I hate to buy another rig just to use the new 6M capabilities of my new
Fluidmotion SteppIR beam, but I have resigned myself to no 6M on the new rig.

I have a really well built used Ten-Tec 1208 transverter [thank you Dick
W2SCF] and it works fine - but is very limited in it's power and I suspect
sensitivity. Cary N4PY has coded support for the 1208 directly into his
Jupiter/Pegasus control software that makes it a breeze to operate and the
computer window display shows the 6M frequency.  This software will also allow
the Jupiter to xmit on 14.400 (out of the band) to reach a local net on
50.400. [Thank you Carl for such high quality software].

WTB:  I am actively searching for a clean used Ten-Tec 526 6N2 for a
reasonable price.
de ken n9vv
<n9vv@arrl.net>
http://www.n9vv.com