[TenTec] Scout,Omni,TS 850 transmit

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout,Omni,TS 850 transmit
From: bstephens1@mindspring.com (robert k stephens)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:26:06 -0400
I think that my favorite non Ten Tec rig is  the Kenwood TS 850/870 series,
so I thought it would be interesting to compare  the quality of its ssb
transmit audio with the Omni V and my  Scout. Since there is a review of
the Mark V Field in Aug QST I have included that rig as well.

Transmit IMD         3rd order         5th order

Omni V               -30 dB            -45dB
Mark V               -31 dB            -44dB
TS 850               -28 dB            -40dB
Scout                -25 dB            -35dB

The Omni and Mark V are virtually tied for 1st place and my Scout is last.
I have a basic understanding of what receive IMD is but I really don't
understand what transmit IMD is. What effect does good or bad transmit IMD
have?  Can you hear it on the other stations receiver e.g., does it affect
perceived audio quality?  What other effects does it have? In comparing the
Omni to my Scout how much worse is the 3rd order -25 compared to the Omni's
-30 dB and how much worse is the 5th order -35 as compared to the Omni's
-45?    What difference does it make?

73
Bob KB1CIW

p.s.
Just for the heck of it I also compared the receive IF BW

Receiver IF BW

Mark V                281 Hz   to   2771 Hz   (2490 Hz)
TS 850                160 Hz   to   2456 Hz   (2296 Hz)
Scout                 181 Hz   to   2433 Hz   (2252 Hz)
Omni V                377 Hz   to   2289 Hz   (1922 Hz)