[TenTec] Scout Transmit IMD was Omni,TS 850 transmit

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Transmit IMD was Omni,TS 850 transmit
From: bstephens1@mindspring.com (robert k stephens)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:41:56 -0400
George,
Thank you. Your first 3 paragraphs are a good explanation of what my
concern is. The borrowed D-104 that I am using seems to be doing a good job
of reducing the low end and increasing the 1000 to 2000 range.

I have no more than a minor passing interest in "hi fi" sound so the fact
that the Scout doesn't go below 300 Hz does not bother me in the least.
What I want is top draw ,clean, undistorted communications audio. As I
understand (or misunderstand )  the IMD numbers the Scout does not seem
capable of top draw,clean, undistorted communications audio. If I
understand it correctly, if we listened to the audio of an Omni V with a
Heil HC 4 element and a Scout also with an HC 4 ,the difference in
frequency response would not be earth shattering, but the Omni would be
cleaner  with less distortion than the Scout. If this distortion can only
be identified by looking at a scope then I'm not overly concerned , but if
ham ears can easily hear the greater distortion from a Scout as compared to
an Omni V then this bothers me. I'm not very concerned about the frequency
response numbers that you found.
tnx-Bob KB1CIW

(1)>Bob, I took a look at the transmitted audio spectrum of the Argo 5-watt