[TenTec] close talking was Scout,Omni,TS 850 transmit

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] close talking was Scout,Omni,TS 850 transmit
From: bstephens1@mindspring.com (robert k stephens)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:08:25 -0400
George's research into the frequency response of the Argo explains the
situation well. The Argo (Scout) has a peak at the lower frequencies with a
slowly declining curve in the communications range. Close talking (2
inches) or even moderately close talking (4 inches) into the hand mic
reinforces and exacerbates the Scout's tendency to be a little bassy. There
are 2 ways to fix this. I can buy a mic that either has a rising frequency
response or a mid frequency "bump" (D-104, Heil HC4 and HC5 or perhaps the
Shure 444. The other way would be to take your advice and change the
capacitors. Changing the capacitors would be cheaper and from an
engineering viewpoint probably more elegant, but there is one problem.
Although I know how to solder I dislike soldering. I'd rather wash dishes
than solder stuff<g>. So, I'll be making a mic purchase.

On the other hand I love tubes and presently have a DX 60 and Drake 2B
waiting for me to fix. Hopefully my love of tubes will overcome my aversion
to soldering and I'll be changing the caps in the tube rigs soon- but
that's a topic for another list.

73 Bob, KB1CIW