[TenTec] OMNI D FIRMWARE

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI D FIRMWARE
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:32:35 -0500
Points well made, Paul, despite the tongue in cheek!   <:}

Sadly, we have yet to see a true "software-defined" radio from ANY
manufacturer. We have had *software-controlled* radios for years now, but
even with the Kachina, Pegasus, Jupiter, et al, you cannot re-define or
change a thing about those radios that has not had software control
capability built into it.

Software upgrades can alter the manner by which controllable things are
controlled and the circumstances, etc., but as for being able to
reconfigure the radio architecture and/or do anything that the existing
hardware and circuitry will not permit, all bets are off.

It is unfortunate that manufacturers use such terminology in the interests
of product appeal when it really cannot be defended on technical grounds.
It is even more unfortunate that most of us seem unable or unwilling to
differentiate between true sofware definition and software "control."

When we can place an A/D converter virtually on the antenna terminals,
doing nothing to the signal in the process,  and then execute every single
step in the reception and processing of an incoming signal by software,
then we will have a software-defined radio. The more essentially fixed
hardware and circuitry we have between the antenna terminals and the A/D
converter the further away from that goal we are.

Presently our DSP IF radios have significant software configurable options
potentially available. Some manufacturers like TenTec have taken advantage
of this by effectively simplifying the design such that a single firmware
package can be used to upgrade and make changes.

Others like Kachina intended that to be the norm, but unfortunately they
have left the marketplace. Recent problems with an aftermarket firmware
upgrade product for the Kachina have underscored how fragile this approach
can be.

Icom and most of the other JA manufacturers seem to prefer a widely
distributed control approach with multiple ASIC and dedicated
microprocessors such that the firmware is distributed among several
processors and thus cannot practically be upgraded after the fact.

So, the times they are a'changin' and we have much in store for us!

73/72/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771 I-LINK 11735
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina 505 DSP  #91900556  Icom IC-765 #02437