[TenTec] PTO stability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PTO stability
From: csturner@slonet.org (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:43:17 -0700
An old topic, I remember this being discussed, but can't find my old
notes.  Anyone have a few hints or suggestions to slowing down the drift
in my Ten Tec PTO?  I have rebuilt it, the drift is over 1 KHz in an
hour and it continues, but slows down, for many hours.  I suspect I need
to change the temp compensating cap in there and I have a friend with
many boxes of temp compensating caps I can use to try.

Has anyone chosen caps for their PTO and has any simple, basic advice
that would help me?  I am not trying for perfection, I just need a few
hints to get down to 20 or 40 Hz drift after a little warmup, like my
other PTO.

Any tip at all appreciated.  I have a freq counter and plan to tack
solder in the replacement caps, then take some data and see where I get
after a few tries.  Make sense?

Clark
WA3JPG