[TenTec] drift

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] drift
From: WA3FIY@radioadv.com (WA3FIY)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:43:44 -0400
If the display is not indicating drift and if the received signal is
not drifting, then I would suspect something in the transmit
carrier oscillator [BFO circuit].

The digital readout displays the premix signal which is composed
of the PTO and High frequency crystal oscillators.   So you can
pretty well rule those out.   The BFO frequency is changed
between receive and transmit so that is where I would focus my
attention.  Perhaps a realignment of the BFO is in order.   The
problem might show up in the process.

That last digit jitter in your display is a common occurrence in
frequency counters and does not normally indicate any problem
unless the last digit jumps more than one count.   It occurs
because the count gate is not synchronized to the incoming
signal.  Some modern frequency counters based on
microprocessor technology have pretty much eliminated the last
digit jitter.

Good luck.

-Lee-