[TenTec] transverters on 6m

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] transverters on 6m
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 08:10:22 -0500
I use a Down East Microwave transverter on 2M with my Omni VI+.  That
combination is far far superior to most "all mode" radios.  The DEM
transverter gives me about 20 watts output SSB and about 30 watts CW.  That
very easily drives a brick to about 150 watts.  If I need more RF, I turn
things down a bit and the brick will drive the 8877 to full legal output,
all modes.  For what it's worth, I can hear CW signals off of the moon, EME,
with a 10 ele yagi, no pre-amp, and the transverter.   I use the 250 Hz
filter in the Omni VI+.   It is better than my Paragon with the same filter
configuration.  With regard to transverters, I'd say 6M performance would be
about the same.

While the Tentec transverters are very good, they won't keep up with the
performance of the DEM.  Of course, there's a big price difference too.

73
Bob K4TAX